Mass timber is a category of framing styles often using large panelized solid wood construction including CLT, NLT, DLT or glulam panels for floor and wall framing.
Cross-laminated timber (CLT), nail laminated timber (NLT), dowel-laminated timber (DLT) and glue laminated timber (glulam) are mass timber products that:
- are cost-competitive, carbon efficient, sustainable and reliable
- complement existing light frame and heavy timber options
- are suitable candidates for some construction applications that currently use concrete, masonry, and steel
- stem from the results of scientific information and data generated from full-scale fire, seismic, durability, acoustic and vibration tests being conducted internationally by researchers and engineers
- make taller mass timber, wood-concrete and wood-steel-hybrid buildings a reality
Mass timber construction also includes innovative forms of sculptural buildings and nonbuilding structures formed from solid wood panel or framing systems of six feet or more in width or depth.
Mass Timber Manufacturers with product availability in U.S.: